Climate Action, Environment, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials
- To contribute to the increase of European competitiveness and availability of raw materials, and to improve the welfare of society in general;
- To ensure the integrity, resilience and environmental sustainability, aiming to allow ecosystems and society to adapt to climate change and other environmental changes;
- To promote the preservation of abiotic resources and biodiversity (reducing environmental impacts) and the recovery of degraded areas;
- Particularly, through methodologies for sustainable natural resource management and study of environmental risks and impacts, waste management waste-water and chemicals, planning and land management, water resources management, valuation and valorisation of ecosystem services, and promotion of the urban and rural environment quality;
- To develop materials that 1) minimize environmental impact during the manufacturing process, distribution, use and end of life-cycle, 2) present structural reliability, reusability and recycling ability, chemical stability and biological safety;
- In particular, recycled materials, renewable materials, materials for residues treatment, biodegradable materials, materials that promote the well-being and health, materials for energy efficiency and materials for "green" energy;
- Design of products and processes following approaches that respect the environment, looking for innovative solutions that minimize the environmental impact by using manufacturing processes that require less energy (more efficient ) and less toxic materials;
- To design products that reuse and/or re-utilize other materials, that are more durable and function better, generating less waste accumulation;
- To promote the adoption of sustainable building materials, based on local resources, and the use of recyclable materials and waste;
- To promote energy efficiency in buildings, optimizing insulation and favouring renewable energy resources, and the efficient management of water;
- To develop tourist products based on the basic principles of eco-tourism, making use of local resources, and developing animation activities in rural areas consistent with the cultural values of the people involved;
- Integrated development of rural and natural areas.
Projects:Climate Action, Environment, Resource Efficiency
- Protection of olive groves in a sustainable production mode in a global climate change scenario: linking ecological infrastructure and ecosystem functions.
- CROSS-Fire: Cooperation of online resources for supporting forest fires simulations: a grid platform for integrating web geo-referenced services for real time management.
- Risk of soil degradation associated with the production of biomass and soil use changes in the Alqueva dam.
- Regulatory role of Holm oaks in the spread of forest fires: definition of measures for development and management at the landscape scale.
- BIOURB: transnational bio-construction diversity, bio-climatic construction and its adaptation to modern architecture and urbanism.
- Cultibos, Yerbas i Saberes: Biodiversity, sustainability and dynamics in Tierras de Miranda.
- IND_CHANGE: Modeling tools based on indicators to predict changes in the landscape and promote the application of socio- ecological research in adaptive land management.
- SIMWOOD: sustainable innovative mobilisation of wood
- Degradation of organic pollutants by catalytic oxidation with hydrogen peroxide of carbon materials.
- Coffee grounds: horticultural conversion program and consequences to the quality and safety of the produced plants.
- 2GAZ: Development of a testing prototype for replacement of HFC by natural gases.
- COLDBENCH: Development of a HVAC demonstration and simulation installation.
- EcoDeep: eco-efficiency and eco-management in the agro-industrial sector.Raw Materials
- OLIVPOL: Polyurethane foams and thermoplastic composites based on oxipropylated olive stones.
- Development of water-based adhesives free of NMP and compatible with food products.
- Molecular engineering, synthesis and testing of water compatible smart polymers.
- Kinetic Modeling of the Molecular Architecture of Polymer Networks Formed in the Radical Cross-Linking Copolymerization of Acrylic/Trivinyl Monomers
- Hybrid Models for Tailoring Nano-Architectures of polymers
- RL2_P3 Polymer Reaction Engineering