Qualification awarded (in original language)Degree in Physiotherapy. Bachelor's degree
Level of qualification1st Cycle of Studies. EQF level 6. ISCED 2011 level 6.
Admission requirementsStudents may apply to this 1st cycle program, through the general regime, if they obtain a minimum classification of 95
points (on a scale of 0 to 200) in one of the following national entrance examinations: Biology and Geology or
Chemistry and Physics and Biology and Geology or Biology and Geology and Mathematics.
Application may also be possible, through special regimes, for:
- students inside the Portuguese educational system who want to re-enroll, change course of studies, or transfer
- holders of technological specialization course;
- olders than 23 who have succeed a special exam of assessment of capabilities to access the Higher Education
- holders of middle or high level courses;
- students coming from foreign higher education systems.
According to DL-11/2020, April 2, may apply to this programm:
- the holders of Dual Certification Courses at secondary level and Specialized Artistic Courses.
The access requirements for the 1st cycle of studies of Higher Education appear in the description of the Portuguese Higher Education System, provided by NARIC (http://www.dges.mctes.pt/DGES/pt/Reconhecimento/NARICENIC/) and presented in section 8 of the Diploma Supplement.
The pre-requisites of group A are compulsory.
Recognition of prior learningFollowing the implementation of the Bologna Process and the consequent legislation regarding the mobility of students among degrees and higher education institutions, prior learning must be recognized and credited. The prior learning concept comprises all the previous learning/training undertaken in other higher education study cycles in national or international institutions (crediting of certified training), as well as previous professional experience and any post-secondary school training or education. As such, the IPB promotes the crediting of the student’s prior learning when arriving at the institution.
Aiming at a quick and full integration of the student in his/her new education programme, the recognition procedures must be submitted when enrolling at the IPB.
For further enquiries on crediting and recognizing prior learning and training at the IPB (calendars, procedures and assessment criteria), please go to the Applicant Portal at www.ipb.pt/portaldocandidato.
Qualification requirements and regulations8 Semesters (4 years). 20 Weeks of study, per semester. 3985 total Anual contact hours . 1 credit corresponds to 27 hours.
The conclusion of the study plan of the Physiotherapy degree allows access to the profession of Physiotherapist regulated by the Decree-Law 320/99 of 11 August.
Profile of the programmeThe profile of the programme comprises the development of the technical-scientific knowledge and professional skills in the study areas of Physiotherapy, Health Sciences and Social Sciences. Physiotherapy; Health Sciences
Key learning outcomesThe degree is awarded to students who demonstrate:
- Develop human, scientific and technical competences with interdisciplinarity, aggregating the component of fundamental sciences with the applied ones, which will enable physiotherapy students, to build a solid base for evidence-based clinical practice;
- Develop clinical reasoning and skills, following the various stages (examination and assessment, diagnosis and prognosis, planning and implementation of intervention, evaluation of effectiveness, reformulation or conclusion), concerning current clinical practice in the various areas of physiotherapy: musculoskeletal, neurological, cardiorespiratory, oncological, tegumentary, palliative, mental health, pelvic health, paediatrics and community;
- To integrate knowledge and skills in evidence-based practise through professional practices taking place in various health institutions (hospitals, health centres, specialised care units, private clinics and offices, etc.), state and local government institutions, community support services, companies, among others, sports and educational institutions;
- Widen the knowledge about the specific competences (divided into 7 areas) of a physiotherapist, that is, allow contact not only with the great area that is the Clinician but also with all the others (Communicator, Manager, Collaborator, Promoter and Professionalism, Academic and Leader).
Occupational profiles of graduatesThe degree of "licenciado" (bachelor) in Physiotherapy belongs to the education and training area of Health Sciences and Social Protection. Graduates are qualified to develop a professional activity within the profile of the programme.
Access to further studiesThe bachelor’s degree in Physiotherapy inallows to proceed to post-graduate studies, according to the diagram of the Portuguese Higher Education System, provided by NARIC (http://www.dges.mctes.pt/DGES/pt/Reconhecimento/NARICENIC/) and presented in section 8 of the Diploma Supplement.
Examination regulations, assessment and gradingExamination and assessment are regulated by the IPB general regulation, available in www.ipb.pt/sa, and by the School pedagogical regulation, available in www.essa.ipb.pt.
Consult this Guide under the option “The ECTS at the IPB” for information on the grading and qualification system.
Mode of studyFull-time
Scientific areas of the study plan
|Scientific Area||Acronym||ECTS Credits|
|Any Scientific Area||QAC||6.0||0.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-1101-00-23 ||Administration and Management in Health||CS||4.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-1102-00-22 ||Anatomohistophysiology I||CSAU||6.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-1103-00-23 ||Epidemiology and Biostatistics||CSAU||4.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-1104-00-22 ||Human Movement Study I||FT||6.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-1105-00-22 ||Evidence-informed Physiotherapy||FT||6.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-1106-00-22 ||Introduction to Physiotherapy||FT||4.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-1201-00-22 ||Clinical Anatomy||FT||4.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-1202-00-22 ||Anatomohistophysiology II||CSAU||6.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-1203-00-22 ||Human Movement Study II||FT||6.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-1204-00-22 ||Exercise Physiology||CSAU||4.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-1205-00-22 ||Fundamentals of Pathology||CSAU||4.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-1206-00-22 ||Methodologies of Assessment in Physiotherapy||FT||6.0|
|2||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-2101-00-23 ||Assessment, Diagnosis and Intervention of Physiotherapy in Musculoskeletal I||FT||12.0|
|2||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-2102-00-23 ||Education and Exercise I||FT||6.0|
|2||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-2103-00-23 ||Ethics and Professional Phychology||CSAU||4.0|
|2||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-2104-00-23 ||Pathophysiology of Musculoskeletal Conditions||CSAU||4.0|
|2||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-2105-00-23 ||Relational Psychology||PSIC||4.0|
|2||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-2201-00-23 ||Assessment, Diagnosis and Intervention of Physiotherapy in Neurology||FT||12.0|
|2||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-2202-00-23 ||Assessment, Diagnosis and Intervention of Physiotherapy in Musculoskeletal II||FT||6.0|
|2||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-2203-00-23 ||Pathophysiology of Neurological Conditions||CSAU||4.0|
|2||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-2204-00-23 ||Neurophysiology||FT||4.0|
|2||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-2205-00-23 ||Rehabilitation in functional diversity||FT||4.0|
|3||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-3101-00-23 ||Assessment, Diagnosis and Intervention of Physiotherapy in Respiratory||FT||12.0|
|3||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-3102-00-23 ||Education and Health Promotion in Physiotherapy||FT||6.0|
|3||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-3103-00-23 ||Pathophysiology of the Respiratory Conditions||CSAU||4.0|
|3||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-3104-00-23 ||Health Information Management||CSAU||4.0|
|3||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-3105-00-23 ||Auxiliary Diagnostic Processes in Physiotherapy||FT||4.0|
|3||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-3201-00-23 ||Clinical Education in Physiotherapy I||FT||15.0|
|3||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-3202-00-23 ||Clinical Education in Physiotherapy II||FT||15.0|
|4||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-4101-00-23 ||Integrated Care in Physiotherapy||FT||6.0|
|4||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-4102-00-23 ||Education and Exercise II||FT||6.0|
|4||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-4103-00-23 ||Physiotherapy in Cardiovascular Conditions||FT||6.0|
|4||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-4104-00-23 ||Physiotherapy in Pediatrics||FT||6.0|
|4||1|| Semestral || 9504-770-4105-00-23 ||IPB Free Option||QAC||6.0|
|4||2|| Semestral || 9504-770-4201-00-23 ||Educação Clínica em Fisioterapia III||FT||30.0|
Accreditation/RegisterCom Acreditação em 2022, Limite de vagas fixado: 25
Processo de acreditação: NCE/21/2100275
Registo inicial DGES:R/A-Cr 145/2022 de 12-07-2022