Postgraduate in Palliative Care
Qualification awarded (in original language)Formação de Pós-Graduação em Cuidados Paliativos
Level of qualificationProfessional qualification.
Admission requirementsHolders of a bachelor degree or equivalent in Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Business Sciences;
Holders of a foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies, organized according to the Bologna model for an adherent State to this process;
Holders of a foreign academic bachelor degree that is recognized as suitable to the objectives of a bachelor degree by the Scientific Council in each school;
Holders of an academic, scientific and / or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the ability to attend the course, by the Technical and Scientific.
Recognition of prior learning---
Qualification requirements and regulations---
The holders of this course are allowed to develop an expertise Professional activity.
Profile of the programme---
Key learning outcomesAt the end of the postgraduate course in palliative care, the student should be able to:
- Understand the importance of the values, principles and philosophy of palliative care, applying them to the level of practice and care management.
- Develop the sense of ethical-critical reflection and decision making in face of complex issues frequent in palliative care.
- Identify the main principles of symptom control and monitoring in palliative care.
- Develop skills in the implementation of an interdisciplinary care plan, directed to the person and the family in palliative care.
- Develop skills within the pillars of action in palliative care: communication in health, teamwork, symptom control and family support in grief.
- To develop research skills oriented to the specificities and limits of research in palliative care.
Occupational profiles of graduates---
Access to further studiesThe course allows the students to continue to the 2nd and 3rd cycles according to the diagram of Portuguese Higher Education System.
Examination regulations, assessment and grading---
Mode of studyFull-time.
Scientific areas of the study plan
|Scientific Area||Acronym||ECTS Credits|
|Social and Behavioural Sciences||SBS||5.0||0.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-794-1101-00-22 ||Palliative Care; Organization of services and team work||HS||6.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-794-1102-00-22 ||Therapeutic relationship in Palliative Care||HS||6.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-794-1103-00-23 ||Spirituality, family care and bereavement support in Palliative Care||HS||6.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-794-1104-00-22 ||Paediatric Palliative Care||HS||6.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-794-1105-00-23 ||Applied Research in Palliative Care||HS||6.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 5037-794-1201-00-23 ||Bioethics applied to Palliative Care||SBS||5.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 5037-794-1202-00-23 ||Symptom control in Palliative Care||HS||10.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 5037-794-1203-00-23 ||Internship in Palliative Care Units or project work||HS||15.0|