Postgraduate in Palliative Care
Qualification awarded (in original language)Postgraduate Training in Continuing Care
Level of qualificationProfessional qualification.
Admission requirementsHolders of a bachelor degree or equivalent in Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Business Sciences;
Holders of a foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies, organized according to the Bologna model for an adherent State to this process;
Holders of a foreign academic bachelor degree that is recognized as suitable to the objectives of a bachelor degree by the Scientific Council in each school;
Holders of an academic, scientific and / or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the ability to attend the course, by the Technical and Scientific.
Recognition of prior learning---
Qualification requirements and regulations---
The holders of this course are allowed to develop an expertise Professional activity.
Profile of the programme---
Health and Social Protection; Social and Behavioral Sciences; Business Sciences.
Key learning outcomesIt is intended that, at the end of the course, the trainee will be able to:
• Understand the principles of palliative care;
• Determine the needs of a patient in palliative and family care;
• Recognize the problem of suffering at the end of life;
• Know and apply the principles of symptomatic control;
• Identify and monitor the most frequent symptoms of terminal illness;
• Discriminate care for the patient and family in the last days and hours of life;
• Recognize the normal evolution of mourning;
• Identify the situations of pathological mourning
• Understanding the basic skills of communicating with end-of-life patients
• To know the most frequent problematic situations in the communication with end-of-life patients and their relatives (transmission of bad news, transmission of the prognosis, request for conspiracy of silence)
• Apply ethical principles in the analysis of key ethical issues related to the end of life.
Occupational profiles of graduates---
Access to further studiesThe course allows the students to continue to the 2nd and 3rd cycles according to the diagram of Portuguese Higher Education System.
Examination regulations, assessment and grading---
Mode of studyFull-time.
Scientific areas of the study plan
|Scientific Area||Acronym||ECTS Credits|
|Health and Social Protection||HSP||30.0||0.0|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences||SBC||10.0||0.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-513-1101-00-15 ||---||HSP||5.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-513-1102-00-15 ||---||SBC||5.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-513-1103-00-13 ||---||HSP||6.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-513-1104-00-15 ||---||SBC||5.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-513-1105-00-15 ||---||BC||5.0|
|1||1|| Semestral || 5037-513-1106-00-15 ||---||HSP||4.0|
|1||2|| Semestral || 5037-513-1201-00-15 ||---||HSP||15.0|